Monday, March 29, 2010

Mom's Famous Guacamole

Spring is here! Or, well, it was. Spring lasted a whole week and a half in these parts before it snowed again (last Thursday night!) and frosted (every night since then). But trust me, it was gorgeous before that. I mean, 70's sunny and just BEAUTIFUL! Now, I don't know about you, but that kind of weather is exactly the kind of weather that makes me crave a good bowl of guacamole. Mmmm, delicious greeny and garlicy and cilantro(y?). I'm getting antsy just thinking about it!


With the weather being so nice, we've been spending more and more time outside. Lots of runs, hikes and horseback riding. In fact, just working on days that are gorgeous and sunny can make me crazy to be outside. I hear that the gorgeous weather is on it's way back, and I couldn't be more thrilled.
My poor plants are sick of being inside. They are almost wilting thinking of the gorgeous sun that used to be outside. Any my lemon tree is CRAVING more sun. It's two perpetually yellow-green lemons have been nearly ripe so long, I'm starting to think they're never going to be ready to eat. Sadly, with the weather cold again, they won't be able to see the sun for awhile. It's enough to make a girl completely crazy.
I guess the only thing that can be done right now is a rain dance, of sorts. Maybe if we all get together and make some summery guacamole, the weather will take pity on us an be gorgeous again. I mean, look at the deliciousness above. Really? How can Spring hold out on us?

Give this recipe a try. I know it's super easy and super tasty, even if it's not what they serve in Mexico. (This is what Christian, the Mexico expert, tells me. He also tells me that this version is way more awesome.)

Mom's Famous Guacamole
Makes 2-4 servings (how greedy for deliciousness are you?)

What You'll Need:
1 Mortar and Pestle (or, in not available, a large bowl and a very sharp knife w/ cutting board)
1 small knife
1 spoon

Ingredients:
1 avocado, perfectly ripe (You want it to be soft, but still firm enough to hold without poking a hole in it)
1 small tomato, chopped roughly
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small bunch of cilantro (about 1 1/2 cup - 2 cups of leaves)
1 Lime
Sea Salt and Black Pepper

What You'll Do:

To begin, use mortar and pestle to combine garlic and cilantro into a paste. If you are using a knife, chop everything has finely as possible and stir together. Stir in chopped tomato and juice the lime over the top. Salt and Pepper to taste. Stir together until everything is coated.

Cut avocado in half, removing pit with a spoon. Spoon out chunks of avocado into the mix, keeping them chunky (This is not your mom's pureed guacamole!). Mix gently to combine.

Serve immediately with salty corn chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment